Donations of old books can also be made to the Brooklyn Public Library, which has a central location at Grand Army Plaza. NYC Books Through Bars is a program that sends books directly to those who are jailed and have requested them.
What is the best thing to do with old books?
10 Creative Ways to Reuse and Recycle Your Old Books
- Make a contribution to your local library.
- Donate your gently used books to a local charity
- Make some gift tags
- Bring your gently used books to your local library. Recycle any books that are no longer useful. They can be sold or given away on the internet. Make a “Free Books” box for your library.
Where can I donate books in Covid NY?
Reuse | Re-Read: Book Donation Centers in New York City
- The Strand Bookstore will buy your books and may even pick up and box your books in huge collections if you have a significant number of them. Donations for Books Through Bars can be dropped off to Freebird Books, located at 123 Columbia Street in Brooklyn, New York. Guidelines for the Housing Works Bookstore Café may be found here.
Can you donate books to the library NYC?
Libraries in New York City will consider collecting most sorts of books and textbooks from donors, provided that the materials are in acceptable condition and that the library staff believes the donated volumes will be appropriate for the library’s circulating collection.
Should I throw out old books?
Volumes with moldy pages cannot be recycled; instead, they must be thrown away immediately to prevent the mold from spreading to further books. The practice of recycling books is completely acceptable if they cannot be repurposed or given new life in another manner.
How do I dispose of books no one wants?
To Whom Should You Give Books You No Longer Need?
- Libraries. The majority of libraries accept book contributions and sell the books as part of a Friends of the Library fundraising event. Thrift stores in the neighborhood. Goodwill accepts a wide range of items in addition to clothing. Prisons. Prisons and schools are in severe need of secondhand books. Schools could also be interested in your secondhand books.
What to do with old hardcover books?
Despite the fact that you can throw away your hardcover books, we encourage that you donate your books instead. They may be donated to a local thrift store or used book store so that others can benefit from them! You may also recycle the internal pages of a hardback book by removing the cover and binding from the book.
Where is the best place to donate used books?
The Most Effective Places to Donate Used Books
- The following resources are available: your local library, your neighborhood Little Free Library, a school or community book drive or fundraiser, Freecycle, reputable charities, local faith-based organizations, your neighborhood thrift store, local museums and other cultural organizations, and online resources such as Wikipedia.
Who can I donate books to?
Where to Make a Book Donation
- The Salvation Army is a charitable organization. In addition to the Salvation Army, there are many other local charities and institutions that provide social assistance. These include Goodwill, local libraries, the Vietnam Veterans of America, Habitat for Humanity ReStores, other local charities, local theaters, retirement homes, and other institutions.
What do you do with old books on Long Island?
How to Make a Used Book Donation on Long Island
- Send an email or make a phone call to public schools, including Benjamin N. Inquire with your local libraries about your books. Consult with secondhand bookshops such as the Village Book Shoppe or Spoonbill Sugartown Books for recommendations. Deliver the used books to the locations where they have been agreed to be accepted.
Can you donate books to the Brooklyn library?
It is no longer possible for the Brooklyn Public Library to accept contributions of books and other items from the general public for inclusion in its collections at its local libraries. To guarantee that resources are current, relevant, and in good shape, the Library’s collection is carefully selected by a team of experts.
What is donate NYC?
giving and locating gently used clothing, shoes, accessories, and fabrics is made simple for New Yorkers thanks to donateNYC’s tools and resources. Whether you are a company looking to donate excess inventory, a nonprofit community group seeking contributions, or a resident trying to clean your closet, donateNYC can assist you with your needs.
What will Salvation Army not take?
There are several products that The Salvation Army donation center will not take due to recalls or government regulations on reselling, such as particle board furniture, metal workstations, TV armoires, and baby equipment (such as high chairs and car seats). But don’t get too worked up over it. You may sell those items with the usage of an app.
What items does Salvation Army not take?
In general, the Salvation Army Thrift Stores are unable to accept the following items:
- Anything that has mechanical troubles, a broken power cable, or is rusted or unclean should be thrown away. Large-screen televisions and sound systems in the console style. Televisions that are more than 5 years old. Appliances that are built in (ovens, stoves, dishwashers, microwaves, and so on)
Who donated the New York Public library?
The Astor Library was established as a result of the generosity of John Jacob Astor (1763-1848), a German immigrant who died as the richest man in America at the time of his death. According to his will, he left $400,000 to the New York Public Library to be used for the development of a reference library.