LibriVox | free public domain audiobooks
LibriVox is celebrating 16 years of audiobooks on August 9th, with over 1450 new projects completed since our last anniversary. Check out our Italian Antologia di poetesse italiane, a collection of poems by female poets spanning 500 years.
What types of books are best for audiobooks?
Here are four types of books that would benefit from being turned into audiobooks.
- Full Cast Audiobooks. Another category of books that would be better as audiobooks is those with a full cast recording.
- Emotionally Raw Memoirs.
- Fiction With a Narrative Voice Unlike Mine.
What books are free on audiobooks?
There are ten free audiobook sites where you can find your next literary obsession.
- Loyal Books used to be known as Books Should Be Free (amen to that).
- Open Culture wants us to learn today.
- Project Gutenberg.
What kind of books can you get on audible?
These are the books that have stood the test of time, having been chosen as examples of excellence by our editors after being vetted by our listeners.
- A Game of Thrones.
- Born a Crime.
- Ready Player One.
- The Handmaid’s Tale: Special Edition.
- Gone Girl.
What is the best audiobook ever?
The best fiction audiobooks
- 1) Ann Patchett’s The Dutch House, narrated by Tom Hanks. 2) Kiley Reid’s Such a Fun Age, narrated by Nicole Lewis. 3) Celeste Ng’s Little Fires Everywhere, narrated by Jennifer Lim. 4) Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander, narrated by Davina Porter.
Who is the best audiobook narrator?
Audiobook Narrators: 21 Amazing (and Prolific) Voices
- One of my favorite things about audiobooks is how a good narrator can give a character a voice that I would never have imagined myself.
- Cassandra Campbell.
- Orlagh Cassidy.
- Kevin R.
- Dion Graham.
- Holter Graham.
- Jennifer Ikeda.
- JD Jackson.
How can I get free audio books?
Where can I get free audiobooks on the internet?
- Libby by Overdrive.
- Project Gutenberg.
- Loyal Books.
- Mind Webs.
- Open Culture.
- Libby by Over
What is the best app for free audio books?
Apps for listening to audiobooks for free
- Loyal Books has a large collection of free public domain audiobooks.
- Overdrive is another audiobook app available through your library.
Can you listen to Audible for free?
You can listen on any Alexa-enabled device, compatible Fire tablets, Kindle devices, Sonos devices, and more by downloading the free Audible app. You can cancel at any time before your trial ends and you won’t be charged. There are no commitments and no cancellation fees.
Is Audible worth the price?
If you listen to audiobooks on the go and enjoy reading, paying a monthly fee for an Audible membership is well worth it. You can mark your place in an audiobook and take notes using the Audible app, but it’s not as convenient as having a copy of the book that you can flick through on a screen or tablet.
Why are audiobooks so expensive?
The basic reason why audiobooks are so expensive is due to their high production costs; on average, an audiobook’s ‘cost per finished hour’ is around $300 to $400, but this can increase the ‘cost per finished hour’ of an audiobook to as high as $1500 or even more.
Do you have to pay for books on Audible?
No, it’s not free, but you can download the Audible app and get free access to some Audible Originals and a limited number of Prime audiobooks through Prime Reading if you have an Amazon Prime account.
How do I choose an audiobook?
What to Look for in an Audiobook
- Consider the Genre. It’s fine to look at audiobook bestsellers for ideas, but don’t just pick the number one book and assume you’ll enjoy it.
- Listen to an Excerpt.
- Don’t Choose a Classic.
- Choose a Children’s Book.
- Think About Who Will Be Listening.
- Check the Reviews.
What is a good audio book to start with?
The Best Audiobooks for First-Time Listeners, as Chosen by the Editors
- Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None. Ruth Ware’s The Woman in Cabin 10. Douglas Adams’ The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Naomi Novik’s Spinning Silver. Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman’s Good Omens. E. B. White’s Charlotte’s Web.
Do audiobooks count as reading?
No, because you are listening, which is an aural process, rather than reading, which is a visual process; however, because most books are written, you are still engaged with writing, even if you are not reading it.