Best Books for Sixth Graders
A retelling of “Beauty and the Beast,” an intimate account of the Vietnam War, and an inside look at Spider-Man are among the highlights.
What are some good books for a 6th grader?
Recommendations for 6th grade books
- Rebecca Stead’s When You Reach Me. Katherine Arden’s Small Spaces. Jack London’s The Call Of The Wild. Louis Sachar’s Holes. Sharon Creech’s Walk Two Moons. Anna Sewell’s Black Beauty. Stuart Gibbs’ Space Case. Jean Craighead George’s My Side of the Mountain.
What is a good book for a 6th grade girl?
Six Books That Sixth Grade Girls Are Adoring
- Moxie and the Art of Rule Breaking. by Erin Dionne.
- The School for Good and Evil. by Soman Chainani, illustrated by Iacopo Bruno.
- The Selection. by Kiera Cass.
- Unwind. by Neal Shusterman.
What do sixth graders read?
What Books Should Every Sixth Grader Read?
- Holes. by Louis Sachar.
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. by J. K. Rowling.
- The View From the Cherry Tree. by Willo Davis Roberts.
- Where the Red Fern Grows. by Wilson Rawls.
- The Monument. by Gary Paulsen.
- Hoot. by Carl Hiaasen.
- Among the Hidden.
How many books should a 6th grader read?
A Frequent reader, aged 6-11, reads about 44 books per year, while an Infrequent reader reads only about 22, and the gap widens as children get older, with Infrequent readers reading only 4.7 books per year at the age of 12-17.
What grade level is Harry?
However, there are a few age-related guidelines to keep in mind: Harry Potter is classified as a middle-grade read, which means it is appropriate for children aged 9 to 12.
What do 6th graders enjoy?
When something is done particularly well or they have gone above and beyond, 6th graders love to be complimented and recognized, and they want you to brag about them!
How long should a 6th grader read a day?
A beginning reader should spend at least 20 minutes a day reading to or with someone, with books that are relatively easy for your child. This will help build fluency, and you’ll notice that your child will stop decoding words less frequently over time.
How do you skip a grade?
A Written Request Identify the student and the grade level you wish the student to skip. State your reasons for making the request in writing to the school principal and keep a copy. A written request is more likely to be carefully addressed than an oral request.
Can a 7 year old read Percy Jackson?
The Percy Jackson books are rated for kids aged 9u201310 by Common Sense Media (my go-to source for determining what media is appropriate for what age of kids). I’d probably lower that a year to ages 8u20139, but in either case, there’s a lot lost in reading those books if you don’t know the myths they’re referencing.
Is Percy Jackson better than Harry?
In the end, the Percy Jackson series does a better job of exploring concepts and striking a balance that many people can relate to, whereas Harry Potter has a lot of intriguing aspects, from its excellent execution to its meticulous writing style.
What books should I read if I like Percy Jackson?
14 Super Series to Read Next After Percy Jackson
- Chris Rylander’s An Epic Series of Failures. Andrew Peterson’s The Wingfeather Saga.
- Dragons in a Bag Series.
- A Sam London Adventure Series.
- Talespinners Series.
- Thrones and Bones Series.
- Knights of the Borrowed Dark Series.
- The Chronicles of Egg Series.