12 Exceptionally Rare and Valuable Comic Books That Are Worth a Fortune
- Action Comics #1 was worth approximately $3.2 million. Detective Comics #27 was worth approximately $2.1 million. Marvel Comics #1 was worth approximately $1.2 million. Amazing Fantasy #15 was worth approximately $1.1 million.
- All-Star Comics #8 was worth approximately $936,000.
- Batman #1 was worth approximately $567,000.
- Superman #1 was worth approximately $507,000.
How do you know if a comic book is valuable?
The cover price of your comics is the quickest and most accurate way to identify whether or not they are of “good quality.” Almost all comic books have the retail cover price at the time of publishing printed on the front and back of the comic book cover. The valuable ones will have 10c, 12c, 15c, 20c, or 25c on the front cover, while the less valued ones will have no denomination.
Are old comic books worth money?
Generally speaking, a comic book that has been damaged, read, or twisted is worth far less than a comic book that is in excellent condition. This is still highly relative, since a very low graded edition of Action Comics #1 is still worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, even if it is in poor condition.
How can I sell my old comic books?
If at all feasible, try to sell in person. Working with a dealer or being able to judge the physical state of a collection may be an excellent approach to obtain the greatest value, especially if you’re prepared to be patient. While websites such as eBay and Sell My Comic Books might be useful, you may be able to obtain a little better bargain if you go to the store in person.
Are comics from the 90s worth anything?
Despite the fact that the comic book business was experiencing difficulties at the close of the twentieth century, some comics from the 1990s are still worth enough money to make Bruce Wayne sit up and take attention. Nevertheless, the most significant 1990s comics in terms of plot and character development are not always the most valued.
How do you price comic books?
The grading of comic books is based on a scale of one to ten:
- 1-1.5 = poor to fair negative
- 2.0-3.5 = fair to very good minus
- 4.0-5.5 = very good to fine minus
- 6.0-7.5 = fine to very fine minus
- 8.0-9.5 = very fine plus
- 9.0 = very fine/near mint minus
- 9.2 = near mint minus
What comic is worth the most money?
Rare Superman comic book sells for a record-breaking $3.25 million.
- Unprecedented $3.25 million (£2.8 million) was paid for a rare version of the comic book in which Superman made his first ever appearance. In other words, the first issue of Action Comics #1, which cost 10 cents when it was first published in 1938, is the most valuable comic book ever produced.
How much should I sell my comics for?
Stores will occasionally pay up to $25 per lengthy package,” says the author. The average worth of a comic book is around 25 cents, but “if you go to a comic book store with crates full of thousands of mostly low-demand comics from the 1990s to now, you’ll be lucky to receive five cents for each of them,” says Cotter-Cairns.
What is the best place to sell comic books?
Some of the Best Places to Sell Your Comic Books
- EBay. Heritage Auctions. Photograph by FangXiaNuo / Getty Images. If you have a large collection of older and more valuable comic books, I recommend that you look into selling them on an auction site like as Heritage.
- Your Local Comic Shop.
- Charitable Contribution.
How much do comic book stores pay?
They often spend 40–60 percent of the cover price for new comics — on average, that is. Occasionally, the publishers will provide unique incentives. In the case of Free Comic Book Day distributions, the shopkeeper does not receive them for free; instead, he pays a nominal fee (maybe five or ten cents per item) to participate in them.
Are comics a good investment?
If comic books are a good investment, as with any other asset class, it is dependent on your individual specific financial objectives and level of risk tolerance. Although comic books can be valuable in your portfolio, they are generally regarded an alternative investment, and you may be better off minimizing your exposure to them in your overall investing strategy.
Are comics worth collecting?
Modern comic books are excellent for both collecting and reading for pleasure. If you want to make a long-term investment out of a fraction of your complete collection, you might consider concentrating on investment-grade volumes. To meet the investment-grade criterion, most Modern Age comic books will need to be rated at least a 9.8 on the scale used in our example.
Are comic books from the 80s and 90s worth anything?
Approximately 90 to 95 percent of all comic books released during this time period are now worth only a fraction of their original cover price, according to current market estimates.