Altered Book 101 Series: Basic Materials
There is no right or wrong when you start folding, painting, or writing on pages from a discarded book, and many of the materials are readily available, so you don’t have to spend a fortune. Materials for an altered book: Glue stick, double sided tape, and matte gel medium (Liquitex or Golden) Acrylic sealer matte finish
How do you alter old books?
Step-by-Step Instructions for Altering an Old Book
- Step 1: Choosing the Right Books to Alter.
- Step 2: Ripping Out the Pages of the Old Book if Necessary.
- Step 3: Gluing the Pages Together if Necessary.
- Step 4: Priming the Pages With Gesso.
What tools do you need to bind a book?
- A paper-cutter is a polished piece of bone used as a bookbinding tool.
- Scalpel. A scalpel or scalpel knife is used for creative bookbinding.
- Paper counter. A paper counter is a hand tool used to cut off stacks of paper.
What are altered books used for?
An altered book artist alters a book (old, new, recycled, or multiple) by cutting, tearing, folding, or embedding objects in it. Altered books can be as simple as adding a drawing or text to a page, or as complex as creating an intricate book sculpture.
How do you make an old book into a new one?
Binding an Old Book into a Journal
- Start by separating the cover from the text block.
- Step 2: Create a New Text Block. Next, fold, stack, sew, and trim the pages that will be used to fill your book!
- Step 3: Glue Your Book Cloth.
- Step 4: Glue Text Block to Cover.
- Step 5: Enjoy Your New Book!
How do you bind a book without sewing?
HOW TO SEW A BOOK TOGETHER WITHOUT SEWING
- Rings – use two or three scrapbook rings that can be threaded into the papers, punch holes in your pages, and bind them all with the rings.
- Wire spines – use a wire spine to bind your book.
- Washi tape binding – use washi tape to bind the pages instead of sewing.
How is book binding done?
Bookbinding is the process of physically assembling a codex book from an ordered stack of paper sheets that are folded into signatures or left as a stack of individual sheets, and then bound together along one edge with a thick needle and sturdy thread.
What does it mean to be altered?
You might need altered clothing after you succeed at your diet, or you might feel like you’re in an “altered state” after being hypnotized. Altered behavior is behavior you’ve changed, such as your housebroken dog’s altered habits.
What are junk journals?
A Junk Journal is a handcrafted book made from recycled and found materials and ephemera, with pages for writing, drawing, painting, and recording memories, thoughts, ideas, and inspiration. Materials for a junk journal are always found or recycled, making it sustainable and eclectic!
What should I put in a junk journal page?
Collage pages are the Swiss knives of the junk journal world, as they can be used to cover up any mistakes or pages that didn’t turn out as planned. I like to use collage pages to cover up the white side of one-sided scrapbook paper.