The 12 Best Books on Writing I’ve Ever Read
There are over 70 million books on writing available, and these are just a small sample of what’s available. You could read one a day for the rest of your life and not exhaust the resources, though some do require you to put on your big kid pants due to language, as I’ve mentioned.
1. The Writing Life: Writers on How They Think and Work
Over fifty authors talk about how they got started as writers and how they work.
2. Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot that Grips Readers from Start to Finish
There are also hints on how to be your own book doctor.
3. Getting into Character: Seven Secrets a Novelist Can Learn from Actors
Brandilyn Collins uses the Method Acting approach to explain and adapt characterization techniques for novelists in her new book, which explains how to bring characters to life the way actors do on stage.
4. The Writing Life
Even when she’s writing about writing, Annie Dillard’s hauntingly ethereal prose soars, and I appreciate her candor about how difficult the craft can be. This is one of the best books on writing available.
5. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft [language]
Readers will learn a lot while being wildly entertained by King’s expertly crafted prose, as he tells his own rags-to-riches story in his inimitable voice.
6. How to Write Bestselling Fiction [mild language]
Dean Koontz’s Left Behind series has sold over 60 million copies, and he uses it as a textbook when teaching writing. The series continues to sell in the six figures year after year, nearly a decade after the last title was released.
7. Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life [language]
Anne Lamott will have you laughing one minute and crying the next as she recounts the joys and sorrows of writing, single parenting, overcoming addiction, and coming to faith. To purchase Anne Lamott’s book, click here.
8. Writing the Breakout Novel: Insider Advice for Taking Your Fiction to the Next Level
An agent pushes you to think “big concept,” tackle major themes, and write life-changing works in addition to spinning yarns.
10. On Writing Well: An Informal Guide to Writing Nonfiction
Zinsser, a graceful classicist as a writer, offers sound advice on the fundamentals of writing any kind of nonfiction you can think of, and this million-seller has been lauded for its warmth and clarity. Click here to get the book.
11. The Elements of Style
Every writing teacher I know recommends this short paperback, whose simple truths cover everything from style to grammar to usage. Reading the top ten Christian classics while ignoring the Bible would be like reading the top ten Christian classics while ignoring the Bible. Click here to get the book.
12. Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Let’s Them Go
Les Edgerton’s advice will benefit any writer; if you haven’t read any of the other books on this list, start with Stephen King’s On Writing, and Dean Koontz’s How to Write Bestselling Fiction could teach you more than a college writing course.
What is the best book for writing a book?
The first phase of writing a book is divided into four sections:
- Decide what the book will be about
- good writing is always about something.
- Set a daily word count goal.
- Work on your book at the same time every day.
What books should I read to be a writer?
The Best Books on How to Live a Writer’s Life
- 7 Stephen King’s On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft. Best for: Fiction Writers.
- 8 Anne Lamott’s Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.
- 9 Natalie Goldberg’s Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within.
- 10 Ray Bradbury’s Zen in the Art of Writing.
What is the best writing guide?
Books on how to improve your writing
- Stephen King’s “On Writing.” Anne Lamott’s “Bird by Bird.” Robert Lee Brewer’s “Writer’s Market.” William Zinsser’s “On Writing Well.” William Strunk, Jr.’s “The Elements of Style.” The Associated Press’s “The Associated Press Stylebook.”
What are the 5 types of writing?
Read examples of each of the major writing styles: narrative, descriptive, persuasive, expository, and creative.
Can you write a book with no experience?
Bradford says you shouldn’t always write outside of your own experience, but you should know why you’re doing it and make sure people from the group you’re writing about have had a chance to tell their own stories before you jump in.
What is the best book to improve English?
There are nine excellent novels to help you improve your English.
- Ernest Hemingway’s The Old Man and the Sea. George Orwell’s Animal Farm. Mitch Albom’s Tuesdays with Morrie. Nick Hornby’s High Fidelity. Lois Lowry’s The Giver. Roald Dahl’s Fantastic Mr Fox. Mark Haddon’s The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.
Does reading help you write better?
The art of reading like a writer does not come naturally; it takes practice. Here are a few key tips and reading strategies to make the act of reading fiction and nonfiction books as productive as possible. Reading helps you develop critical thinking skills.
What is the best book to write a short story?
The Top 10 Writing Tips for Great Short Stories
- Understand that a short story is not the same as a novel.
- Begin as close to the end as possible.
- Keep the pace up.
- Keep the number of characters small.
- Give the reader someone to root for.
- Create conflict!
How can I improve my writing style?
8 Pointers to Help You Improve Your Writing Style
- Be direct in your writing
- good writing is clear and concise.
- Short sentences are more powerful than long sentences.
- Write short paragraphs.
- Always use the active voice.
- Review and edit your work.
- Read famous authors.
What books to read if you like a professor?
How to Read Literature Like a Professor is a New York Times bestseller by Thomas C. Foster, published in 2003, that offers interpretations of common themes, concepts, and symbols found in literature.
What are the 7 types of writing?
The seven most common types of essays
- Compare and contrast.
- Narrative. Narrative essays are traditionally intended to tell a story based on the writer’s real-life experiences.
- Descriptive. Descriptive essays essentially paint a picture of something.
How do I identify my writing style?
The writing style of an author is determined by two factors:
- Voice: Voice refers to the persona you adopt in your writing, as well as the point of view from which you’re telling a story. Tone: Tone refers to the attitude that a piece of writing conveys.
How do I know if Im a writer?
When you write, you know you’re a writer because you’re compelled, driven, and unable to do anything else. As Joan Didion puts it, “the impulse to write things down is a peculiarly compulsive one, inexplicable to those who do not share it.”