Rare and Collectible Books by William Shakespeare
Early editions of some of Shakespeare’s plays and poems were published during the Bard’s lifetime (1564-1616), and the first collected plays appeared seven years after his death in 1623.
H. Herringman, E. Brewster, R. Chiswell, and R. Bentley published the Fourth Folio in 1685, which includes seven plays not included in the First or Second Folios. Jacob Tonson published several editions of Shakespeare’s works in the 18th century. Bookseller Bernard Lintott published Shakespeare’s poetry in the 18th century.
How do I find the value of old books?
Searching for similar copies on AbeBooks.com and seeing what prices are being asked for them is a very simple way of estimating a book’s approximate value. AbeBooks.com sellers sell new, used, rare, and out-of-print books, and we have millions of used and rare books available for purchase.
How do I know if old books are valuable?
Fill out this form with enough information to generate a list of comparable copies. You don’t have to include every word of the title or author’s name.
How do you know if a book is valuable?
- The words first edition, first impression, first printing, or published on the copyright page.
- A specific series of numbers called a number line.
- There may be designated printings for later editions but not for the first edition.
What old books are worth money?
20 Iconic Books You Probably Have That Are Now Valuable
- J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit (1937)
- J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (1997)
- Dr. Seuss’s The Cat in the Hat (1957)
- Arthur Conan Doyle’s The Hound of the Baskervilles (1902).
What are the most valuable first edition books?
The World’s Most Expensive Books
- Tales of Beedle the Bard. Original price: $3.98 million.
- The First Atlas. Original price: $3.9 million.
- The Northumberland Bestiary.
- Shakespeare’s First Folio.
- Bomberg Babylonian Talmud.
- The Canterbury Tales.
- The Gutenberg Bible.
How do I sell my rare books?
Where can you sell your rare book on the internet?
- Sell your book on Flipsy.com.
- Get the best price offer for your book on Direct Textbook.
- Ebay u2013 Host your own book auction.
- Amazon.com u2013 Sell your rare book on Amazon.
- Abe Books u2013 Find individual book buyers.
How can I tell if my Harry Potter book is valuable?
How do I know if my book is worth anything?
- The publisher must be listed as Bloomsbury at the bottom of the title page. The date listed in the copyright information must be 1997. The print line on the copyright page must read u201c10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1u201d
- The book must state that it was printed in the United Kingdom, not any other country.
How do you know if a book is a first edition?
The publisher may actually state the words ‘first edition’ or ‘first printing’ on the copyright page; another common method of identification is the number line, which is a line of numbers on the copyright page; if a one appears in the line, it’s usually a first edition.
Are Time Life books worth anything?
The majority of these books are worth $5-$10 dollars, though the last one or a few that were published in the series are generally worth more. They are either in chronological order or alphabetical order, depending on the set, and the majority of these books are worth $5-$10 dollars.
What is the most valuable book?
The world record for the most expensive book ever sold is a science book: the Codex Leicester, which is a fancy name for what is essentially Leonardo da Vinci’s science diary, which was purchased for $30.8 million ($53.5 million) in 1994.
What makes a book collectible?
Any book that a collector wants to collect should be in the best possible condition: complete, in the original binding and dust jacket, with no marks, tears, scribbles, sticky tape scars, water or light damage, library detritus, or stains.
What makes a book rare?
Because of its importance, scarcity, age, condition, physical and aesthetic properties, association, or subject matter, a book with increased value has a demand that exceeds supply.
What Harry Potter books are worth a lot?
The first book in the series, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, was published on June 30, 1997, by Bloomsbury in London, but it must be a copy of the first edition, first impression (also known as the first printing) to have any real collectible value.
How do I sell old books?
Where To Sell Used Books: 6 Of The Best Online (And In-Store) Options
- BookScouter.com is a good place to start.
- Half-Price Books.
- 4. Powell’s Books.
- Online Buy Back Programs.
- Your local indie.
How do you get a book valued?
Searching for similar copies on AbeBooks and seeing what prices are being asked for them is a simple way to get an idea of a book’s approximate value. AbeBooks sellers sell new, used, rare, and out-of-print books, and we have millions of used and rare books for sale.