20 Scary Books for Kids 2021 – Spooky Chapter Books, Middle Grade and YA Novels
Bookworms know what it’s like to be scared: the images you conjure up in your head while reading are scarier than any scary movie.
Some are not-so-scary, giving little ones small tastes of thrills tempered with lots of silliness and humor, while others are classics that are just as scary today as they were when you first read them.
The Dollhouse Murders is about a young girl who discovers a dollhouse that keeps re-enacting a murder on its own. Despite the title, you should probably keep the lights on bright when reading these books. ‘The Stitchers’ is about three childhood friends who go off on a haunted adventure. Stephen King calls this book “the perfect boogeyman.”
What is considered the scariest book ever written?
The 20 Most Terrifying Books You’ll Ever Read
- Stephen King’s The Shining (1977)
- Henry James’ The Turn of the Screw (1898)
- Shirley Jackson’s The Haunting of Hill House (1959)
- Susan Hill’s The Woman in Black (1983)
- Stephen King’s Salem’s Lot (1975)
- Paul Tremblay’s A Head Full of Ghosts (2015)
What are some good horror books for 12 year olds?
Middle School Kids Will Love These Scary Books
- Neil Gaiman’s Coraline. Ray Bradbury’s Something Wicked This Way Comes. R.L. Stine’s Fear Street Series. Christopher Pike’s Spooksville Series. Dean Koontz’s Watchers. Mike Mullin’s Ashfall. Shirley Jackson’s The Haunting of Hill House. Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.
Why children should read horror stories?
Scary stories teach children how to deal with the real world; they teach them that life isn’t always easy and that it’s OK to be scared. Monsters are entertaining, but they should also teach us how to deal with scary situations.
What books should a 12 year old read?
2021’s Best Books for 12-Year-Olds
- The Girl Who Drank the Moon. For Magic Lovers.
- Percy Jackson Series. An Addictive Supernatural Series.
- Up for Air. Perfect for Swimmers.
- Harry Potter Series. A Staple for All.
- Mostly the Honest Truth.
- Track Series.
What books are similar to goosebumps?
Goosebumps Like Books is a television series based on the novel Goosebumps.
- Billy Baker’s Dog Won’t Stay Buried (Spinetinglers, #2)
- Scare Bear (Bone Chillers, #20)
- The Night Squawker (Bone Chillers, #19)
- Toilet Terror (Bone Chillers, #11)
How do I write a horror story?
8 Guidelines for Writing a Fantastic Horror Story
- Establish the familiar.
- Use subtle foreshadowing.
- Think about pacing.
- Tap into your reader’s imagination.
- Suffocate with tight spaces.
- Think like a child.
- Disorient reality.
How many Fear Street books are there?
The Fears are the protagonists of the Fear Street Saga Book Series ( 17 books).
Why horror movies are bad for you?
People who suffer from anxiety are more likely to be negatively affected by horror films, and those who suffer from anxiety sensitivity are more likely to be negatively affected by horror films, as the tendency to fear intrusive thoughts and images may be triggered, increasing anxiety or panic levels.
What do horror stories teach us?
Sharing ghost stories can even help children grow braver as they face their fears in a safe setting while reading a book or listening to a ghost story. Not only are ghost stories entertaining, but they can also help children experience courage, learn about different cultures, and expand their sense of community.
Is horror appropriate for 8th graders?
Horror is Developmentally Appropriate for Middle Schoolers Middle schoolers want to understand and overcome their fears, and they can do so by experiencing the emotions in a fictional setting while remaining safe.