The 8 Books Everyone’s Talking About Right Now
I’ve chosen a book (or eight) for you to read, as well as some of my favorite television characters.
This is going to hurt – Adam Kay
This Is Going to Hurt, Adam Kay’s debut novel, has been flying off the shelves. A blisteringly funny yet heartbreaking call to arms for all who value the NHS, it has already been translated into twenty languages and is in the works for a BBC2 screen adaptation.
Little Fires Everywhere – Celeste Ng
Everything I Never Told You, Celeste Ng’s second novel, has been named Amazon’s Best Novel of 2017. It is set in suburban America in the 1990s and follows the intertwined fates of the picture-perfect Richardson family.
Exit West – Mohsin Hamid
Exit West by Mohsin Hamid is a genre-defying, thought-provoking masterpiece that Obama named as one of his favorite books of last year. Exit West is a space-skipping love story that rips into reality through a series of fictitious portals.
The Immortalists – Chloe Benjamin
The Immortalists, Chloe Benjamin’s second novel, is a ‘boundlessly moving inquisition into morality, grief, and passion,’ according to the New York Times. This beguiling story has snowballed in acclaim, including a New York Times best seller, number one Indie Next Pick, and even rumors of a film adaptation.
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine – Gail Honeyman
Gail Honeyman’s debut, which has already been optioned for a film by Reese Witherspoon’s film production company, has made quite an entrance onto the literary scene. Funny, charming, and deeply empathic, everyone wants in on this book, which has already been optioned for a film by Reese Witherspoon’s film production company.
How Not to Be a Boy – Robert Webb
Robert Webb, best known for his hugely successful comedic career, has now branched out into autobiography. This coming-of-age account of Webb’s 1970s working-class upbringing speaks of outcast and adulthood crises, with humour playing a key role in this artful exposition of masculinity’s pitfalls.
Sing, Unburied, Sing – Jesmyn Ward
The novel Sing, which deals with the festering cache of Black American history, has won a slew of awards since its release a year ago. A poetic and poignant critical portrait of US history, the book is not to be missed.
Normal People – Sally Rooney
Normal People, by Sally Rooney, has been longlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2018. The novel creates a universal drama, meticulously depicting the mundane existentialism of millennial youth, and has been compared to visionary authors like Greta Gerwig and Emma Donoghue.
What is the most talked about book of all time?
The All-Time Greatest Books
- 1. Marcel Proust’s In Search of Lost Time. 2. James Joyce’s Ulysses. 3. Miguel de Cervantes’ Don Quixote.
- 4. Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s One Hundred Years of Solitude.
- 5. F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby.
- 6. Herman Melville’s Moby Dick.
- 7. Leo Tolstoy’s War and Peace.
What are the best book topics?
The number in brackets represents the average Amazon ranking of each category’s top five books.
- Religion and Spirituality (61), Biographies and Memoirs (96), Business and Money (123), Self-Help (146), Cook Books, Food and Wine (171), Politics and Social Sciences (180), Health, Fitness and Dieting (202), Parenting and Relationships (327)
What books are based on real events?
21 Amazing True-Life Stories-Inspired Books
- Hannah Kent’s The Good People
- Anchee Min’s Empress Orchid
- Amy Stewart’s Girl Waits with Gun
- Meg Waite Clayton’s Beautiful Exiles
- Jesmyn Ward’s Salvage the Bones
- Julian Barnes’ Arthur and George
- Sarah Schmidt’s See What I Have Done
- Maud Casey’s The Man Who Walked Away
What are the 3 most important books?
These are the books that have had the greatest impact on literature.
- Geoffrey Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales. Dante Alighieri’s Divine Comedy. William Shakespeare’s Complete Works. Herman Melville’s Moby Dick. George Orwell’s 1984. Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World. Homer’s The Iliad and Odyssey.
What is the best religion book in the world?
Religions based on Abraham
- The Hidden Words.
- Days of Remembrance.
- Epistle to the Son of the Wolf.
- The Four Valleys.
- Gems of Divine Mysteries.
What ebooks sell best?
The following are Amazon’s top five selling ebook categories:
- Biographies and Memoirs. Biographies and Memoirs. Business and Money. Self Help. Cookbooks, Food, and Wine.
Which book is best to read?
I’m not sure what to read next.
- George Orwell’s 1984.
- J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings.
- Khaled Hosseini’s The Kite Runner.
- J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.
- Kurt Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse-Five.
- C.S. Lewis’ The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
- Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird.
What is a good title for a book?
The Three Most Common Characteristics of Effective Titles
- Evocative. Best-selling titles are frequently evocative and contain compelling wordplay and imagery.
- Memorable and unique. A good book title should be both memorable and unique.
What are the most eye opening books?
Everyone Should Read These 12 Eye-Opening Books
- Barbara Demick’s Nothing to Envy (2009)
- Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird (1960)
- John Hersey’s Hiroshima (1946)
- Leo Tolstoy’s The Forged Coupon (1912)
- Bill Bryson’s A Short History of Nearly Everything (2003)
- Stephen Hawking’s A Brief History of Time (1988).
Is a novel based on true story?
A novel can be based on true events, but it cannot be solely a true story; if a novel only includes true events, people, and locations, it is considered creative non-fiction; every story can be improved by adding more details or trimming.
What is a real life story called?
A memoir is a fictional account of a true story written in the first person, from the author’s point of view, and it can be said to tell a story from a life. A turning point in an author’s life could make a great subject for a memoir.
How many books is a lot to own?
To be officially labeled a book hoarder, a person must own 1,000 or more books, according to Shelfari’s Compulsive Book Hoarders Group. I wish I could honestly say, “There is no such thing as too many books,” but as I’ve learned from experience, that’s not the case.
What is the most important book in human history?
The following books, according to the World Economic Forum, are the most influential in human history.
- Charles Darwin’s On the Origin of Species, 1859.
- The Communist Manifesto.
- The Complete Works.
- The Republic.
- Critique of Pure Reason.
- A Vindication of Women’s Rights.
- The Wealth of Nations.