5 Explosively Popular Book Genres and Why You Should Write in Them
There are so many different literary genres out there that deciding which one is right for you can be difficult.
What Is a Genre?
Your book can have elements of multiple genres, but the romance will be the overarching theme and focus.
How to Pick the Right Genre for You
Picking the right genre for your book can be difficult; the best way to figure out what a reader wants is to read popular books in that genre. Non-fiction books, on the other hand, have fewer genres, allowing you to write about a subject you care about.
Picking a subgenre for your book is just as important as choosing a genre because it will help you write in a specific direction that will appeal to a specific type of reader. Because there are so many different subgenres for each genre, you will have to do your research.
Why Choose a Popular Book Genre?
Genres assist readers in selecting books they want to read, and once a book becomes popular, people look for more books in the same genre. Choosing a popular book genre can significantly increase the profitability of your book, as it means more potential readers.
What Genres Sell the Most Books Right Now?
Examine them to see if the book you want to write fits into any of them, or if it’s something you’ve already written.
1. Romance – Contemporary and Historical
There are many subgenres in romance that are constantly fighting for the top spot: contemporary romance is set in the present, historical romance is set in the past or pre-World War II, and paranormal romance is set in the future.
2. Crime and Thriller
Crime/thriller and romance are two of the most popular fiction genres, and if written well, readers can read them faster than most others, which is exactly what readers want when they pick up Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn or anything by Lee Child.
3. Religious and Self-help
Religious books are self-help books based on religious doctrine that have a large following, both as ebooks and printed copies. Examples include Jay Shetty’s Think Like a Monk, Dave Ramsey’s The Total Money Makeover, and Jen Sincero’s You Are a Badass.
4. Children’s Books – Humor
Children’s books are hugely popular in both print and ebook formats, and anything that sparks a child’s sense of adventure and creativity is something they’ll enjoy reading. Adding humor to children’s books is becoming more popular, as having a humorous element really captures the child’s attention.
5. Fantasy and Sci-fi – Young Adult
This genre accounts for nearly half of the top 20 bestselling books of all time, including The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe. Self-published or Amazon-published books account for 48% of total book sales in this genre.
Bonus Tip: Strong Female Lead
There has been an increase in demand for books with strong female protagonists across all genres and niches, and we are here to meet it! Children are looking for female role models to look up to, and adults are looking for strong female characters to inspire them, and we are here to meet it!
Choose a genre in which you know you’ll be able to write well, so you can build a loyal readership. If your book falls into one of these categories, that’s fantastic; if it doesn’t, that doesn’t mean you should abandon it.
What genre of books are popular right now?
What are the most popular book genres right now?
- Crime and Thriller.
- Religious and Self-help.
- Children’s Books u2013 Humor.
- Fantasy and Sci-fi u2013 Young Adult.
- Fantasy and Sci-fi u2013 Young Adult.
What books people are reading now?
We were able to escape in 2020 thanks to the help of 24 brilliant books.
- 1.’Luster’ by Raven Leilani.
- 2.’The Underground Railroad’ by Colson Whitehead.
- 3.’Waterland’ by Graham Swift.
- 4.’The Water Dancer’ by Ta-Nehisi Coates.
- 5.’A Promised Land’ by Barack Obama.
- 6.’Still Life’ by Louise Penny.
What type of book do most people read?
Mystery, thriller, and crime books were the most popular genre, with 47 percent of respondents admitting to reading them in the previous year; a similar trend can be seen among e-book readers, with 50 percent stating that mystery/thriller books were their favorite genre of e-books in a recent survey.
What book topics sell the most?
The most profitable book genres are: The top five selling categories for hard copy books on Amazon are:
- Memoirs and biographies
- Religion and Spirituality
- Health, Fitness, and Dieting
- Politics and Social Sciences
What are the 5 main genres?
Despite the fact that this genre is often divided into five subgenres: fantasy, historical fiction, contemporary fiction, mystery, and science fiction, there are many other types of fiction, ranging from romance to graphic novels.
What is the best fiction book to read right now?
These Are the 40 Most Anticipated New Books in 2021
- Courtesy of Harper.
- Let Me Tell You What I Mean.
- The Wife Upstairs: A Novel.
- Summerwater: A Novel.
- How the One-Armed Sister Sweeps Her House: A Novel.
- Life Among the Terranauts.
- The Removed: A Novel.
What book did Jenna recommend today?
“As a mother myself, I related to the mothers’ fierce love for their children, even when they made mistakes,” the TODAY book expert said of Naima Coster’s “What’s Mine and Yours.”
What is the hottest book right now?
Books that are extremely popular right now
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1)
- Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)
- Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
- The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
- Room (Kindle Edition)
What is the least popular book genre?
- 14 votes: 8.2% dystopian
- 8 votes: 4.7% supernatural
- 8 votes: 4.7% fantasy
- 5 votes: 2.9% thriller
- 5 votes: 2.9% historical fiction
- 4 votes: 2.3% memoir
- 3 votes: 1.8% mystery
- 2 votes: 1.2% realistic fiction
What is the most popular book?
The 25 All-Time Best-Selling Books
- Don Quixote (500 million copies sold) is number one
- A Tale of Two Cities (200 million copies sold) is number two
- The Lord of the Rings (150 million copies sold) is number three
- The Little Prince (142 million copies sold) is number four
- and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (107 million copies sold) is number five.
What are the 6 genres of writing?
There are six different types of writing: descriptive, expository, persuasive, narrative, technical, and poetic. Compare and Contrast: you compare and contrast two people, places, ideas, or things.
What are the 3 types of books?
Nonfiction books are divided into three categories.
- Biographies, memoirs, and histories are examples of narrative books. Tree books are books that lay out a framework of ideas.
- Branch books are the most common type of book you’ll find in the non-fiction section.
What are the 7 book genres?
Genres of Literature
- Fairy Tale.
- Fiction in Verse.
- Historical Fiction.