How to Cite a Book in MLA
How to cite various types of books in MLA 9 Books are published written works or compositions that are no longer limited to paper and have evolved into the online realm.
Citing a book in MLA (print)
Last name of the author, first name of the author, title of the book, publisher, year of publication, in-text citation (Author Last Name Page #) OR Last Name (Page #).
Citing a book found on a Website or database in MLA
Many books are now available online, with popular sites or databases such as Google Books, Project Gutenberg, and EBSCO holding e-books. Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith is one of the most popular titles.
Citing an E-book in MLA (found via an e-reader)
E-readers, such as Kindles and Nooks, are electronic devices that display electronic books.
Citing a translated or edited book in MLA
(Last Name Page #) OR (Last Names (Page #) OR Murakami (27). Cite your book. In-text Citation. (Last Name Page #) OR (Last Names (Page #) OR (Last Names (Page #) OR (Last Names (Page #) OR (Last Names (Page #) OR (Last Names (Page #) OR (Last Names
Citing a chapter of a book in MLA
Cite your book’s title, publisher, year of publication, page number(s), and author’s name, for example, “Elizabeth Through the Looking Glass: Picturing the Queen’s Two Bodies” in The Body of the Queen: Gender and Rule in the Courtly World, 1500-2000.
In-text citation for Charaipotra, Sona, and Dhonielle Clayton. 1st Last Name, First Name, and 2nd First Name Last Name. Title of the Book. Publisher, Year published.
If the organization is the author and publisher, do not include an author and begin the citation with the book’s title. Can I create a manual citation? Autocite is an excellent resource for creating an MLA in-text citation.
What is MLA format for book titles?
Titles of books, plays, films, periodicals, databases, and websites are italicized; if the source is part of a larger work, place the title in quotation marks. Articles, essays, chapters, poems, webpages, songs, and speeches are all placed in quotation marks; titles may contain other titles.
Do books Use MLA or APA?
The MLA (Modern Language Association) format is for arts and humanities, and it makes citing paintings, books, and other literature a breeze. The APA (American Psychological Association) format is for social sciences technical works, and it makes citing journals and technical reports a breeze.
What is MLA citation example?
If the source does not use page numbers, do not include a number in the parenthetical citation: (Smith). MLA in-text citation style uses the author’s last name and the page number from which the quotation or paraphrase is taken, for example: (Smith 163).
How do I write a book name?
Book titles should be italicized or underlined (titles of stories, essays, and poems should be in “quotation marks.”) Refer to the text as a novel, story, essay, memoir, or poem, depending on what it is, and use the author’s last name in subsequent references to him or her.
How is APA different from MLA format?
In-text citations in MLA include the author’s last name and a page number; when there are two authors, APA Style uses an ampersand (and), while MLA Style uses u201cand.u201d When there are three or more authors, list the first author followed by u201cet al.u201d in both styles.
What is APA Format example?
In-text APA citations include the author’s last name and the year of publication, for example: (Field, 2005), as well as the page number for direct quotations, for example: (Field, 2005, p. 14).
What are the 4 common citation styles?
The following are the most common citation styles:
- In the humanities (e.g., literature or languages), use MLA style. In the social sciences (e.g., psychology or education), use APA style. In history, use Chicago notes and bibliography. In science, use Chicago author-date.
How do you do MLA format on Microsoft Word?
In Microsoft Word, how do you set up a MLA format?
- Set the page margins by selecting “File” from the main menu and then “Page Setup” from the drop-down menu.
- Set the font. The MLA requires that all manuscripts be written in Times New Roman font at a 12-point pitch.
- Set double spacing.
How do you MLA cite an essay?
Last, First M. “Essay Title.” Collection Title, edited by First M. Last, Publisher, year of publication, page numbers. Website Title, URL (if applicable).
What is MLA format on Google Docs?
What Is MLA Format and How Do I Use It?
- Double-spaced text with no extra spaces between paragraphs.
- One-inch page margins on all sides.
- A header with your last name and a page number in the top-right corner of each page.
What is a good title for a book?
The Three Most Common Characteristics of Effective Titles
- Evocative. Best-selling titles are frequently evocative and contain compelling wordplay and imagery.
- Memorable and unique. A good book title should be both memorable and unique.
How do you get ideas for books?
8 Ways to Generate Book Concepts
- Adapt a true story.
- Adapt a fairy tale or folk legend’s plot.
- Create a character based on someone you know.
- Write about a personal experience.
- Analyze the plot of a book you like.
How do you introduce a book?
Introductions are made up of the following elements:
- Tell a story about the reader’s current pain.
- Tell a story about the reader’s potential pleasure.
- Tell them what they’ll learn.
- Describe the author’s background/origin of the book.