25 Best Novels to Increase Your English Vocabulary: Master the Foreign Language
Reading is widely recommended as the most effective method of increasing English vocabulary, and here we will discuss some of the best novels to increase English vocabulary in a novel-breathtakingly beautiful pictures, descriptions, and characters.
1. Ulysses by James Joyce
This is one of those top 100 ranking novels with 30,030 unique words like omphalos (meaning u2013 a center of something), ineluctable (unavoidable), and bedraggle (wet). It is recommended to keep a dictionary and a notebook handy to make the most of the novel for vocabulary building.
2. Moby Dick, by Herman Melville
Ulysses, by Herman Melville, contains over 17,000 unique words, many of which are unfamiliar with our everyday vocabulary and must be understood in context; it is regarded as one of the most difficult novels of all time, but many experts recommend it as a vocabulary-building book.
3. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
The novel is written in a straightforward style with short sentences that is excellent for vocabulary building; some of the novel’s unique vocabulary words include phosphorescent, benevolent, gaff, fathom, and ylang-ylang.
4. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
This is one of the best novels to read to improve English because of the excellent language and captivating plot.
5. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
This is a French adventure novel that explores the work of art, as well as the timeless themes of betrayal, expectation, and retribution. With words like prodigious, cosmopolite, and ardent, this is unquestionably one of the best novels to read to improve English.
6. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
This classic novel is rich in words that aid in a deeper understanding of the language; it is highly recommended for strong vocabulary building. This great novel has left an impression on many of its readers, and it continues to amaze me every time I re-read it.
7. Animal Farm by George Orwell
Animal Farm is an allegory, or story that uses fictional characters to allude to real-life events; it uses the story of Napoleon and Snowball’s takeover of the farm to tell the story of Stalin and Lenin’s rise to power in Russia.
8. To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee
Malevolent, Antagonize, Chiffarobe, Assuaged, and other interesting words are used in this novel, which was published in 1960 and became an instant bestseller all over the world. This work of art is enhanced with some English vocabulary words that are beneficial to any learner.
9. Shogun by James Clavell
This 1200 page book is also considered a good vocabulary building novel because it is written in excellent English, which will undoubtedly improve the reader’s knowledge of the language.
10. The Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O’Brian
This novel, which is full of wonderfully obscure English vocabulary words that will help you learn more about the language, is a good example of learning while immersed in a thrilling story. It is one of the best novels to read to improve English.
11. The Giver by Lois Lowry
A novel with simple grammar and short sentences that is a must-read for English learners.
12. Books by William Shakespeare
Many of the words we use every day, such as spike, pearl, bruise, and flesh, were invented by William Shakespeare.
What should I read to improve my vocabulary?
7 Novels to Improve Your Vocabulary
- Shakespeare’s Plays.
- Love in the Time of Cholera.
- Game of Thrones.
- Gulliver’s Travels.
- Slaughterhouse Five.
How can I improve my vocabulary with books?
Take the following steps:
- Choose a book you’ll enjoy reading.
- Read a chapter.
- After finishing the chapter, go back and highlight or circle three new words.
- Do an internet search for each word.
- Add the words to your vocabulary notebook.
- Repeat steps 2-4 for each chapter.
Can I improve my vocabulary by reading?
It’s undeniable that reading is the most effective way to learn new vocabulary; when you read, you see words in context, which makes it far more effective than memorizing word lists, for example.
What books should I read to increase my knowledge?
I hope they do the same for you.
- Victor Frankl’s Man’s Search For Meaning. Henry David Thoreau’s Walden. Rolf Dobelli’s The Art Of Thinking Clearly. Daniel Kahneman’s Thinking Fast and Slow. Kelly McGonigal’s The Willpower Instinct. Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi’s Flow. Daniel Lieberman’s The Story of the Human Body.
Which book is best to improve English?
There are nine excellent novels to help you improve your English.
- Ernest Hemingway’s The Old Man and the Sea. George Orwell’s Animal Farm. Mitch Albom’s Tuesdays with Morrie. Nick Hornby’s High Fidelity. Lois Lowry’s The Giver. Roald Dahl’s Fantastic Mr Fox. Mark Haddon’s The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.
What is the best app to improve your vocabulary?
9 Apps to Help You Expand Your Vocabulary (and Sound Smarter)
- Words with Friends.
- 7 Little Words.
- Reverse Dictionary.
- Magoosh Vocabulary Builder.
How can students improve their vocabulary?
Here are five strategies for helping your students expand their vocabulary.
- Take a systematic approach to vocabulary practice, encouraging students to learn new vocabulary on a daily basis, but in short bursts.
- Reading for meaning.
- Teach vocabulary in context.
- Teach vocabulary specific to the content.
What is the best source of vocabulary?
6 Vocabulary-Building Websites
- Visuwords.com. This website does exactly what it says on the tin: it generates interesting graphic visuals for your word choices.
- Online Etymology Dictionary.
- Word Sift.
How does reading books build your vocabulary?
Because we are exposed to new words and can discern their meaning through the context of what we are reading, independent reading promotes vocabulary growth. The greater the variety of our independent reading, the more vocabulary one is likely to assimilate.
Does reading increase IQ?
Reading increases your crystallized intelligence by adding to that storehouse; in fact, increased emphasis on critical reading and writing skills in schools may explain why students today perform about 20 points higher on IQ tests than they did in the early twentieth century.
How can I improve my vocabulary in 30 days?
In 30 Days, Improve Your Vocabulary
- Improve Your Vocabulary: Use new words.
- Read every day.
- Improve Your Vocabulary: Keep a thesaurus handy.
- Learn everyday vocabulary.
- A dictionary is your best friend.
- Improve Your Vocabulary: Play word games.
- DIY vocabulary tests.
Why improving your vocabulary can enhance your life?
Improving language and literacy skills early in life will help them be more successful academically and communicatively. Children who develop a rich vocabulary tend to be deeper thinkers, express themselves better, and read more.
Why books are the best source of knowledge?
Books also provide knowledge about various aspects of life, ensuring detailed research and information about a subject when you read a book, which is why books are always a good choice when you need to gain a thorough understanding of a subject. Books are also the most easily accessible source of knowledge.
What book should I read to become smarter?
1. Daniel Kahneman’s Thinking, Fast and Slow is a fascinating account of how the human brain works, with its two main modes of thinking and decision-making: fast and slow.