The 9 Best Grammar Books to Make You a Stronger Writer
There are many grammar books on the market, and not all of them are created equal; you’ll find something that suits your needs, whether it’s academic or lighthearted and fun. If you don’t have time to read a book right now, consider using software.
1. The Elements of Style By Strunk and White
The Elements of Style, by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White, is an English writing style guide that breaks down the English language into rules of use and composition principles. It was named one of the 100 best and most influential books written in English by Time in 2011.
2. Eats Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss
Even the most ardent grammar nerd may struggle to get through Eats, Shoots, which was written by a former editor who understands grammar.
3. Woe Is I by Patricia T. O’Conner
Woe Is I: The Grammarphobe’s Guide to Better English in Plain English, by Patricia T. O’Conner, explores the grammar issues that plague even great writers in a friendly, nonjudgmental tone, then follows the rules with examples.
4. Several Short Sentences About Writing by Verlyn Klinkenborg
This book focuses on teaching writers how to write strong, meaningful, and delightful sentences, with the goal of helping people write more creatively. Verlyn Klinkenborg’s philosophy is that if a writer can write a strong, solid sentence, they can write strong paragraphs, chapters, and books.
5. The Sense of Style by Steven Pinker
The Sense of Style, a new book by Steven Pinker, examines how the English language can be manipulated, as well as the changes in modern writing brought on by texting and social media.
6. Write Right! by Jan Venolia
This book is more of a well-organized writing guide, with clear explanations and illustrations to help people understand the importance. With the rise of the Internet, rules are changing at a rapid pace, and this book keeps up with the latest edition.
7. Practical English Usage by Michael Swan
Practical English Usage by Michael Swan covers both spoken and written English grammar, with simple language that even new writers can understand. It also covers spelling issues and other common errors that can plague even the best writers, with plenty of examples.
9. Grammar Girl’s Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing
Mignon Fogarty’s Grammar Girl’s Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing is a fun and informative book. Fogarty frequently appears on major talk shows giving grammar advice, and her style and writing tips will help you improve your writing and learn when it’s OK to break common grammar rules.
What’s the Best Advanced English Grammar Book?
If you’re looking for a self-study English grammar book for advanced writers, Advanced English Grammar with Answers by Hewings is a single-volume book that includes both grammar lessons and practice exercises to teach an advanced approach to grammar.
Build Your English Grammar Library
Some of the best grammar books will help you master the written language; remember, even the best writers need a grammar check now and then. With these guides, you can hone your craft and become a powerful, persuasive writer. For more information on running a business, see our Grammarly Business review.
What is a grammar book?
a book that contains an account of a language’s grammatical facts or recommendations for how to use a language properly.
What books help with grammar?
The Best Books on Grammar and Punctuation
- Bryan A. Garner’s Modern English Usage
- Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary
- Spunk Dictionary
Which grammar book is important for English?
Raymond Murphy’s workbook, English Grammar in Use (make sure you get the version with answers), is a great book for studying English at home. It’s the most popular grammar book in the world, and for good reason: each grammar topic is explained in simple terms, with plenty of examples and practice exercises.
Which grammar book is best for beginners?
The Best English Grammar Books for Beginners are listed below.
- English Grammar Workbook.
- ESL Beginner Premium Edition with e-flashcards.
- English Grammar to Ace New Testament Greek.
- The Elements of Style Workbook.
- English for Everyone Grammar Guide Practice Book.
Which English grammar is best?
For English language learners, here are the top ten grammar resources.
- William Strunk, Jr. and E.B. White’s Elements of Style.
- Bas Aarts’ Oxford Modern English Grammar.
- Purdue Online Writing Lab.
- Grammar Exercises from the University of Bristol’s Faculty of Arts.
- Grammar Monster.
- Oxford Dictionaries.
What is the best book to improve English grammar?
Our Top 10 List of the Best Books to Learn English Grammar
- Raymond Murphy’s Grammar in Use series
- J.’s The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation
- S.’s The Only Grammar Book You’ll Ever Need
- G.’s Perfect English Grammar
- DK’s English for Everyone: An English Grammar Guide
- B.’s Oxford Modern English Grammar
Which used in grammar?
‘Which car are we going in?’ he asked Alexander, using which as a determiner and interrogative pronoun to ask for specific information.
How can I improve my English grammar and vocabulary?
We’ve listed a few effective learning methods below.
- Make a commitment.
- Keep a grammar book on hand.
- Utilize a grammar app.
- Practice every day.
- Learn new words.
- Read more in English.
- Listen in English.
- Try to communicate with your teacher and friends in English.
How can I speak good English?
Here’s how to improve your English speaking skills in ten simple steps, regardless of your level:
- Imitate as much as you can.
- Avoid learning words by word.
- Use what you’ve learned right away.
- Be an actor.
- Listen to others as much as you speak.
- Listen to yourself and get feedback from native speakers.
How can I speak fluent English?
7 tips for fluent and confident English speaking
- Don’t be afraid to make mistakes
- your goal is to deliver a message, not to speak perfect English with the correct grammar and vocabulary.
- Practice, practice, practice. Practice makes perfect.
Which book is best for English grammar 11?
English Grammar in Class 11
- M. Gnanamurali’s English Grammar And Composition At A Glance.
- G. N. Verma’s Sands Top Phrases In English With Tenses, Phrasal, Idiomatic, And Normal Verbs.
- CBSE Study Material For Class-XI Writing Skills and Grammar (English) By Panel Of Expert.
What are the basic grammar topics?
Definitions of Important Grammar Terms
- The eight major parts of speech in English grammar are nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions, and interjections.
Which English grammar is best for UPSC?
Aspirants can use the ‘English Grammar Book by Wren and Martin’ to improve their English grammar, and ‘Contemporary Essays for Civil Services Examination by Ramesh Singh’ to improve their essay writing skills. English also plays a big role in the interview rounds.